MEXT cites safety, neutrality lapses in Henoko case
Safety management criticized
In response to an accident off Henoko, Nago in Okinawa Prefecture in which two boats capsized and two students from Doshisha International High School in Kyoto died during a study trip, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology on the 22nd released its findings saying the school's safety management was 'extremely inappropriate.' It also said the school corporation Doshisha was given guidance over biased educational content.
The ministry said it viewed as problematic the fact that students rode on a boat that had been used as a 'protest boat' against the relocation work for the U.S. Futenma base. It determined this violated the political neutrality required under Article 14 of the Basic Act on Education, marking the first such finding since the current law took effect in 2006.
Safety measures fell short
The investigation found the school had not inspected the boat in advance and that a supervising teacher had not accompanied the students. Although a high-waves advisory was in effect that day, the school had not checked weather information and had no plan to cancel activities in bad weather or switch to alternatives. MEXT criticized the safety management and risk-control efforts as extremely inadequate.
Many teachers at the school were aware the boat had been used as a 'protest boat,' according to the ministry. The school also failed to present sufficient alternative viewpoints to deepen students' thinking, and the ministry said the handling was biased toward a specific view. To confirm the school's response, the ministry carried out an on-site inspection of the Doshisha school corporation in April.
Inquiry widened to prevent recurrence
The accident occurred on March 16. As part of peace studies, two small boats capsized one after another while viewing Henoko, where the Futenma relocation work is under way, from the sea, killing second-year student Chika Takeishi, 17, and boat captain So Kanai, 71.
Education minister Yohei Matsumoto disclosed the findings at a post-Cabinet meeting news conference on the 22nd. MEXT also sent a notice of guidance to Kyoto Prefecture, which oversees the school. Doshisha International High School said the same day it 'takes the ministry's guidance seriously.' The ministry will now examine how schools and their operators nationwide are handling safety during off-campus activities and the proper conduct of educational programs.
Enjoyed this article? Share it with your network!